Aline Bastin Photography Contest:
Trains connect places but also people; as such, they have always been a fascinating and inspiring topic for artists. The objective of this contest is to stimulate creativity and to spread a sustainable and safe image of the railways in Europe, showing them as an integral part to a cleaner, smarter and more connected transport system.
The contest is held on an annual basis and seeks to find the 12 best pictures highlighting the modern, environmentally-friendly and human dimensions of railways. Winners each receive a 200 euros prize.
Taking place since 2013, the European Railway Photography Contest was renamed in 2016 in memory of our tragically departed colleague and friend Aline Bastin.
Registration for the Aline Bastin Photography Contest 2023 is now closed. Stay tuned for the announcement of the winners.
- The contest is open to all residents of the 27 Member States of the European Union, Albania, Bosnia Herzegovina, Georgia, the Republic of North Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Norway, Serbia, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine and the United Kingdom.
- Only photos taken in the above mentioned countries can be submitted.
- Photos explicitly identifying trains and commercial brands in general are to be avoided.
- Photos showing prohibited or unsafe behaviour (e.g. people on tracks, in prohibited areas, waving dangerously out of train windows, etc.) or clearly taken from a dangerous situation will be automatically disqualified.
- Originality of the subject;
- Artistic quality;
- Human and positive touch;
- Origin of the photos: the 12 winning photos should reflect cultural diversity.
- Entries are to be digital photographs submitted electronically by 1 October 2023.
- Only high-resolution photos (at least 1600 pixels wide / 300 dpi) will be accepted, preferably in horizontal format.
- A maximum of 5 picture entries per person will be allowed.
- The online CER contest form (including contact details and description of the picture) must be completely filled in when submitting the photo.
All entries must be submitted by 1 October 2023.
- 12 pictures will be selected.
- Winners will each receive a 200 euros prize.
For a photo on which a person is recognisable, a model release is required. Model releases are the responsibility of the entrant and must be presented in the event the photo is a winner.
Entrants must own all rights to the photographs submitted. Entrants warrant that the submitted photograph is an original work which does not infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or entity. As such, entrants hold CER harmless from any breach of copyright.
8. PUBLICATION AND LICENSE
Winners' names and photographs will be published on www.cer.be, on CER’s social media channels and may be showcased at events (co-)organised by CER or in CER or third party publications. By entering the contest, all entrants grant a non-exclusive license to CER to publish or use any entry in their communications materials. Photos published will be credited to the photographer. CER will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use.
9. RIGHT TO CANCEL OR SUSPEND CONTEST
If for any reason the contest is not capable of running as planned, CER reserves the right to cancel or suspend the contest. CER will not retain any rights in the submitted photographs.
Participation in the contest implies acceptance of the present rules.
For more information about the Aline Bastin Photography Contest, please contact CERCommunications@cer.be.