Reports 14 Oct 2014
Sector vision and policy priorities 2014-2019
Our vision is for a European rail sector that is:
- A competitive and viable first-choice transport mode in terms of price and service quality for both passengers and freight customers;
- The backbone of a seamless and integrated transport system – in close cooperation with the other transport modes;
- An enabling factor for the competitiveness of the European economy, supporting economic growth and job creation, and contributing to an inclusive society;
- Central to the delivery of Europe’s goals of cutting greenhouse gas emissions, achieving energy security, and relieving congestion.
Our commitment is to achieve a situation where:
- The rail sector places a premium on technological innovation and on new service models in areas such as ticketing, travel information, real-time information for customers;
- Europe’s railway companies emerge as leading providers of transport and logistics solutions across borders and across modes;
- Rail remains the greenest and the safest mode of transport.
Our plea to policy-makers is to ensure that:
- Rail infrastructure funding is solid, sufficient, and predictable;
- EU policies facilitate development, innovation, and growth – leaving companies in charge of choosing the best way to implement, and cities, regions, and Member States in the driving seat of public transport policy;
- A level playing field is created between transport modes – while supporting new infrastructure connections and new complementarities between the modes.