CER response freight train derailments
Prevention and mitigation of freight train derailments at short and medium tracks. CER is pleased to note that ERA’s focus is on the implementation of safety management systems and maintenance systems. Furthermore CER supports that ERA recommends short term and medium term measures on the basis of a judgement of their cost-effectiveness.
CER comments concern:
- The effect of monitoring and supervision
- The missing mentioning of the role of keepers in maintenance issues
- The missing system view and the missing role of a European system authority, which could find optimum measures which individual actors (RU, IM, ECM) or individual member states would not be able to identify themselves
- The question raised about the effectiveness of the EVIC
- The scope and extent of the business case for each measure